I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33 ESV
I’m writing this post to admonish you to guard your heart during this very trying season. It’s easy to become contaminated with unrighteous anger and bitterness. People will try you with their commentary. People will unfairly exalt the life of one over another. People will be silent as your blood curdles and screams at the loss of yet another one.
But God… He is still good! This is NOT His plan! Anchor your hope in Him, and you will not grow weak with fear.
Just yesterday I was watching tv and saw a big, black man in the background. My spirit leaped, and I thought “I’m glad he’s ok!” Just yesterday an older white woman snatched her young granddaughters from my son’s walking path as if he were going to harm them.
But God is still good!
I decided that I will NOT allow any of what’s taking place in this nation to contaminate my heart. I will not spew hatred. I will not cower in fear. I will not raise my son to be lily-livered and coonish in hopes to avoid white slander. I won’t do it. Furthermore I will not view whites, police officers, politicians, or ministers as my enemies. We are ONE nation, even if they choose not to see it.
Here’s what you can do to guard your heart during this season:
- Turn OFF the news and social media outlets that are grievous to you. Social media is a tool used to gauge your response to issues AND to incite issues. The systems of the world want to keep you in your FEELINGS, so you can’t think! Please please please stop watching and sharing the videos.
- Question EVERYTHING! A few times over the past few days, the Holy Spirit has said to me “Don’t trust that.” Some things are manufactured to force a desired outcome. (Matthew 16:3)
- Pray in the spirit. The Holy Spirit will quiet your emotions and give you grace to stand. (Jude 1:20)
- Resist fear! Fear will have you making all kinds of bad choices. Hold your position! (2 Timothy 1:7)
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. (John 5:8)
Read Psalm 91.
- I decree and declare in the name of Jesus that as my family walks in holiness and obedience to God, we will be exempt from the bloodshed happening in our nation.
- Lord, we pray for protection of innocent people and judgment of those who are targeting them through systemic injustice.
- Lord, dismantle the powers that are controlling the air waves and devising evil on this nation. Let every evil thing calling for bloodshed be judged by the power of Jesus Christ.